New Homes for Sale Rio Grande Valley Texas
Economic Diversity and Growth: A Bright Future
As you’re considering a location for your new home, keep in mind the many advantages found in the Rio Grande Valley, Texas – a diverse economic base, thriving cultural scene and affordable cost of living.
A report recently created by Texas A & M Engineering and Extension Service predicts that Hidalgo and Cameron counties will be the fastest-growing counties in the U.S. from 2015 – 2019.
Why are so many people choosing to purchase Mission, TX homes for sale?
- Low Unemployment Rate. As of February 2015, unemployment in the area was under 5%. Jobs are plentiful and growth is expected to continue, according to the A& M report.
- Diversified Economy. While the direct energy industry has definitely contributed to the area’s robust economy, it accounts for only 5% of activity at the ports of Harlingen and Brownsville. Health care, light manufacturing and retail are also major contributors to the South Rio Grande Valley’s economy.
- Focus on Infrastructure Improvements. Local officials are working to keep ahead of the growing population by investing in transportation and other infrastructure improvements. New and improved roads, bridges and airport facilities are among the ongoing projects in the area.
- Low cost of living. On average, the cost of housing, utilities and entertainment in the Rio Grande Valley is lower than in other areas of Texas.
- Schools and Education. From Pre-k to Doctoral degrees, the Rio Grande Valley has excellent schools and educational opportunities. The vast majority of schools in the Mission Consolidated ISD have met academic standards, and many have received exemplary ratings for various programs. Colleges and universities in the area include:
- University of Texas – Pan American in Edinburg, Texas. Offers Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degrees.
- South Texas College in McAllen, Texas
- Texas State Technical College, Harlingen
- University of Texas at Brownsville
- Climate. Winter Texans – more than 150,000 of them – choose to live in the RGV from October through April because of our pleasant temperatures and the area’s natural beauty. Rio Grande Valley weather attracts many “snowbirds” and permanent residents.
- Investment Potential. The lightning-fast population growth in the Valley presents fantastic opportunities for anyone interested in investing in real estate. Property values for homes for sale Mission, TX rose significantly last year, with many homes valued at $15,000 to $20,000 more than the previous year.
- Natural Beauty. The Rio Grande Valley is a top destination for birding enthusiasts, beach-goers and those who enjoy fishing.
- Top Hospitals and Healthcare. The Rio Grande Valley is home to numerous great hospitals and healthcare facilities. The new University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Medical School is expected to continue being key economic driver to the area
With continued energy-related activity expected in the Burgos Basin, and industry needed to support extraction, the economy in the Rio Grande Valley is expected to continue to thrive. This in turn attracts more retail and entertainment to the area, as evidenced by McAllen’s recent announcement of plans to build a new $5 million entertainment center with bowling, arcade games and VIP rooms.